Monday 27 May 2013

The Rocky Horror Picture Show


Now, what to do here? A film that combines four of my favorite, among others, genre's of films: Musical,  Horror, Comedy(parody), and Cult. Starting out on the West End, The Rocky Horror show was met well with praise by audiences and critics alike. So in the mind of the writer, this meant it was inevitable to make a film adaption.
 

 It parodies the hammer horror franchise, namely Frankenstein, and gives it a musical twist. Now the acting can range from over the top to hokey. Starting off with the criminologist(yeah that's his name) telling the story of of two lovers, Brad and Janet(I was surprised they could get a song out of even these names) and how they come to meet Dr Frank-N-Furter( "Very Funny hahaha") and his crew of misfits. Now, when you see this movie, ten minutes in you will start to think "pretty standard movie", don't let it fool you. By the half-mark you will be asking What? Why? and...No I think that's it. After a couple of music numbers, we are introduced to Rocky, a creation of Frank-n-Furter, who has no lines apart from singing. We have an all star cast(sort of) including Tim Curry(if you replace two letters becomes Jim Carry) as our sweet transvestite doctor, Susan Sarandon as our Heroine, Richard O'Brian as Riff-Raff, Meatloaf can you believe it as Eddie, etc, etc.

So what do I like. I love the song's. That is the movies saving point. Seriously, they are so damn catchy. Who knew a song about a transvestite or a song about science fiction plot-hole fixers would be as memorable as the characters on screen. Like Alex DeLarge, Tim Curry should have gotten an award for this memorable portrayal. In fact so memorable it is that Tim got tired of being remembered for that one role that he got a tan, put on weight and became plain. He eventually opened up to the premise of rocky horror. I tend to agree with critic Robert Ebert, he makes the film, because he is having the most fun. That can be said for the other's including Richard and Susan, but Barry Bostwick I feel is just a bit out of place. It also has that B-Movie feel to it, as though the set was hastily put together at the last minute.

As for my dislike, I find the film too surreal and bizarre for my taste, while at the same time being on par with the surrealness of the other films I have reviewed.
I know the traditions of this movie, some are do-able like toasting the happy couple(literally bring toast) while others are kind of hard to do, like dress up as one of the characters.
Overall, I find it a fun romp, I like the song's Tim is a lot of fun and  the culture around it I can respect. Nothing else to say but lets do the time warp and watch it again!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment