Sunday 19 January 2014

Top ten favorite Super-powers


Have I said it enough...no?..Superheros are AWESOME! It's uncertain what we love most about the Superhero. For some, including myself, it's the character, for others it's the story or the villains or, in this case, their powers. We all know about flying around or seeing/punching through walls. These classic examples have since been looked back on with disdain as being cheesy. Since then, a whole slew of new abilities have arisen. From ESP to healing to Teleportation. We all have dreams of having Superpowers, so here are ten of mine. Also, I will be giving you my hero's of inspiration for each choice.
10: Teleportation
I was here, now I'm there. This would be one amazing power, being able to go anywhere at any time, without all the peskiness of being seen, harmed or tired. While people phase or punch through walls, I'm waiting on the other side with doughnuts. The idea of teleportation is that you think of places you can visualize in your mind, evaporate and assemble on the other end in less than a minute. Now that is both impressive and frightening. If one miscalculation is made, the atoms will either disperse or group together in a solid structure. On second thought, let's have Hiro Nakamora and Taylor (Gone) do the teleportation, I'll stick to the rest of this list.


9: Magic or Sorcery
Magic can do...pretty much anything can't it. Raise the dead, control the elements, superpower yourself and others, etc. So why is it so low. Well, like most of the powers on this list, it has a few drawbacks. One, it requires a lot of time to concentrate(which you don't have), it requires concentration(so really think about frog instead of dog when transforming your enemies) and you need to learn how to do a spell, rather than natural possession. But as it can literally do anything, the drawbacks can be worth it. You can have the power of any hero at your fingertips and the ability to covertly amaze your friends. But I prefer the sorcerers who have to learn magic, rather than have magic awarded by birth. The inspirations are Valkyrie Cain and Zatanna.


8: Elemental
Yeah sorcery can do this, but it can do everything else, so it's not too much different from everything else on the list. But bending the elements to our will is a of unlimited possibilities. From moving, traveling by, projecting, transforming and creating earth, fire, water and wind, combining the elements or mastering one, we would be unstoppable. My interest was raised by Skulduggery Pleasant's use and it finally peaked with Avatar Aang doing, like magic, practically anything. Let's see, the elements can be combined(wind and fire can be used to cool and heat the air, creating tornado's), they can be expanded on(water can be used to form ice) and can make an already powerful opponent much stronger.


7: Flight
Flight gets an honorable mention due to it's nostalgic value that still holds up and being a cherished childhood dream of many. It offers a sense of freedom and independence for the flyer, not being bound to simple running, walking or jumping. Yeah it also has drawbacks, like finding you can't fly anymore  after flying a kilometer high and plummeting down, smashing into the ground like a blob of Strawberry jam or if your afraid of heights like me. But you can also mess with people by jumping off a building or walking on water (take that Christianity). This was actually inspired by the Rocketeer and superman, of course. The idea of being a symbol and parading the sky in the name of peace, now that just fills your heart with pride.

6: Super mercenary  or Super Badass
The strongest, fastest and deadliest man on the planet. Not a superpower per say, but I still want it. Pinpoint accuracy of wielding a firearm like Judge Dredd and not give a damn that I just blew his head off. Or I could beat you ass up and not break a sweat. Basically, just think about Batman or Ash Williams. One liners, bad ass lines and not generally liked by anyone. At least they'll leave me alone, unlike when I could fly and they'd swarm like bee's to a honey pot. The assassin has the ability to take off needlessly complicated shots, build awesome machines that look better than they work, to insult someone without getting their face kicked in, making every task they perform look run of the mill and being smart as hell. Let's give it up for Judge Dredd and Ash.

5: Time travel or Time Manipulation
I want to meet Winston Churchill and congratulate his war time effort, I want to see Citizen Kane in cinema and I want to tell Sydney Newman and Verity Lambert how big of a success Doctor Who will be. Endless possibilities and limitless fun. I can find advanced technology or minerals that will only be available in the future. I can age objects to be older or younger by manipulating it's timeline. I can halt time while I develop my skills and knowledge. But more importantly, I can bring Justin Bieber to watch the Beatles live in concert, bring him back and he would slit his wrists with his platinum record. Yeah the Doctor inspired this, along with the Flash.


4:  Reality warping
Let's make some mischief. Have you ever gotten tired of "that's impossible". Well I have and I wish I could just click my fingers and 2+2=5 now. As comic book character, I would be braking the forth wall, turning Superman into lead and hold my fingers in front of my eyes and squash Spiderman like he was between my two fingers. But there are more drawbacks. I would be terrified by every action I make, sneezing will cause flooding, eating will cause the moon to disappear and pooping will cause a sink hole in Africa. So I would probably be driven insane, but at least I can make it rain pancakes and create the snot sausage. Just like Deadpool and the Genie from Aladdin.
{That Indie Reviewer would like to apologize for the nonsensical paragraph you have just read, please be known the people responsible have been sacked}


3:Regeneration or healing
What I forgot to mention in flying is that if you get distracted you hit into something like a human bullet fired out of a cannon. In fact, a lot of these powers are actually second to this one. If you get distracted, you are a superhero who was shot to death by a pot head stealing from a thrift shop. But it's more than that, I was terrified of death as a kid, terrified of my friends and family dying (and yet I was weirdly fascinated by it). So the idea of skipping death and living for a very long time (not immortal, cause who wants to live forever, until time ends and nothing is left. I want a poetic monologue when I reach an explosive end) is intriguing, seeing all the advancements of society or how we devolve. In fact with this, I can freak people out by shooting myself in the head, shouting "I'll be alright", or I can haunt the mugger who stabbed me. Morbid ideology aside, living for a long time, learning and teaching and holding the record as the worlds oldest man. True magic can do this, but when your dying, it will get quite frustrating every time you go into shock and can't save yourself. I was inspired by the Doctor, obviously. He can live for a long time, yet he knows the value of life more than any other.


2: Omniscience
Knowledge, infinite knowledge of practically everything. For those of you who question why I think this is powerful, well...mind over matter. Actually I believe being a genius is more fulfilling than anything. Basically it means I know everything just looking or listening. I can get a PhD in Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Sociology, engineering, math, history, etc. I can memorize strategy and tactics of old and formulate new ones, I can make breakthroughs in science unheard of, I could solve every problem on earth, I could be Sherlock Holmes and Batman Combined. I can memorize and master all forms of Martial arts and build new technology known only to the minds of a mad scientist. I always know what to say and I'd know everything about everyone. What's the old phrase..."Mind over matter". I would be able to defeat all my enemies by my cunning, intellect, skills and my quirky sense of humour. Thank you Sherlock Holmes and Braniac, you have inspired the ravings of a lunatic!


1: Telepathic powers 
The ultimate Superpower, in my opinion. it can move anything, unlike Magneto who can move only metal, it can move Metal, Glass, plastic, wood, plant/animal life, etc. A person can self levitate, use the surrounding to their advantage, generate shields of psionic energy, even around the hands giving super strength, read minds, perform Astral projection, manipulate memories, control minds and fire blasts of psionic energy. Essentially the force, it too requires immense concentration, but with a mind of a genius, it can do anything to my minds whim. I believe, depending on how powerful the telepath is, they could defeat magic or meta-humans like Superman. They could lift an entire building with their mind and not break a sweat. They could read the thoughts of the enemy and know their every move. Anyone who is a telepath is probably the most dangerous being alive. So people like Professor X, Magneto and Darth Vader are all not to be trusted, just a heads up.


Well those are my favorite Superpowers, how about yours. Please comment below and lend me your opinion. My last update for Superhero Month is coming next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment