Sunday 25 May 2014

Life of Brian


When I'm chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble give a whistle. And this'll help thing's turn out for the best.
Words to live by! Yes like most people with good taste, I love Monty Python. From their flying circus to the feature films. Even the Meaning of Life, that still got a major laugh out of me. By far the most popular film out of their catalog is The Life of Brian. Released in 1979, it is essentially a satire on the life of Jesus and the people of Jerusalem. I managed to see the film on the big screen recently thanks to the Royal picture show in The Belltable in Limerick (can you believe, the first time being showed in Ireland since it was banned). Not only that, but I managed to meet none other than Julian Doyle, editor, writer, cinematographer for the Python's. I feel as though I got a better appreciation for the art and themes of the film, all thanks to the unseen master behind the camera.

As you can guess the controversy was widespread and incredibly overblown. I think it was for those reasons that the film became so popular. As for myself, it is a decent film, but let's get to the story first.

Following the life of Brian Cohen, a young man from Nazareth who was born next door to Jesus, we see the trials and tribulations of his life as he avoids the Roman Empire at all cost's, becomes the new Messiah and try to get it on with Judith (OK, that's in layman's terms). In his pursuit of normality and liberation from the Romans, he joins with the People's Front of Judea (Not the Judean People's Front, splitter's) and journeys from Jerusalem to Space.

For those of you who don't know about or don't like Monty Python, where have you been all your life, under a rock. But watching this film doesn't require any prior knowledge of the troupe. You will expect slapstick, dark, physical, verbal and black comedy in the forms of double entendre's, pun's and so on and so forth. If there is anything I do not like about the film, however, it is the...well the...you know what, I don't think there is anything actually bad in this film. The jokes hit bulls-eye every time, the characters are memorable, not to mention contributing so much to the genre of Comedy and Satire. I suppose what I don't like is the movie being chosen as the best from Python, my personal favorite is the Holy Grail. It's great, but not the greatest. But I do say it is a tad dated.

At the time of production, the area used was previously utilized to film another film and so they merely used what prop's were yet to be sent back to Britain. Also the integration of animation and live action was good for it's time, but know it stick's out like a sore thumb. But in a way this add's to the effect of the film. I mean, using the same actors in three different roles is used to hilarious degree's, the over the top action and the the astounding bluntness of how idiotic everyone is. At a young age I was always irritated by how idiotic a character or characters were, yet here it is so blatantly obvious that everyone is an idiot and so no feeling's are hurt and we can avoid any antisemitism (seriously, can we ever get over that).

Speaking of antisemitism, Julian Doyle actually wrote a book on the production of the film, explaining how of all the films of the life of Christ, this is the most accurate. You know what, I'm entitled to believe him. It analyzes all aspects of christian faith, the social and moral dilemma's of AD and trials and tribulations of becoming a martyr for a cause (any cause). I compare it to the Kevin Smith film Dogma, both are satires on faith and Christianity, but also examine's the factors of how a misunderstanding or a good point can be elaborated on in the most outlandish and incomprehensible of ways. (Note to self: Review Dogma)

I think if I had to choose my favorite scene, I don't think i could. I mean we've got "What have the Romans ever done for us", "Bigus Dickus", "The Stoning", "The Sermon on the mount", "Follow the Messiah", etc,etc,etc. You have such a wide variety of memorable moments, memorable lines like "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy" and the best closing song to a film ever. 

9 out of ten stars
««««««««««


No comments:

Post a Comment