Saturday 26 July 2014

Top 11 Nostalgia Critic Episodes

Ah yes, the Nostalgia Critic. What can you say about him. Comedian, critic, actor, director and writer, he does it all (with his brother Rob Walker, of course). Since discovering his videos, I have become a huge fan of his work. Inspiring a lot of what has been written here, as well as my writing style and influencing my opinion on film. To honor his contribution to the art of film criticism, I am counting down my Top 11 favorite NC episodes. Why top 11, like him, I like to go one step beyond.

11. Old vs New: Spider-Man vs The Amazing Spider Man
This is when it finally dawned on me how devoid of conflict these episodes are. In each review, he criticizes a film we either haven't heard of or a majority hate. In the ones which have strong feelings on both sides, he is the best at compromise. Even though for his review of Man of Steel, which his initial verdict I totally disagree on, is negative, he has managed to avoid any attacks by changing point of view and analyzing both sides of the argument. And I agree with every point made here in this review (one of the few times actually).


10. Moulin Rouge
It's almost mandatory to put this review on any list isn't it. I mean the amount of effort, preparation and time it took to assemble. The multiple cameos and many catchy musical numbers. This my favorite part of the review, a parody for each song filled with plenty of jabs of one of the most over-hyped, piece of pretentious crap I have ever seen. Oh sure the music was good and the acting delightfully over the top, but the story was cliche, the main characters bland and the cinematography all over the place. But I can enjoy the fact that at the end of it all, guilty pleasures exist in all of us.


9. Is Parody dead?
That's a question I have asked myself for many years. Oh sure, in the last paragraph I pointed out that guilty pleasures are good, but how something like...this become anywhere near as popular as Airplane or the Naked Gun. It is a strange editorial that examines what most people think when watching these "parody's", it can be both spiteful and insightful at the same time. I am glad he can acknowledge it's popularity on the internet (can anyone say Hishe), I am also glad he surprise his audience by being so in tune with the public conscience and how the film industry really has sunk to a new low.


8. Stephen king's IT
Why are people so afraid of this? Because thanks to the Critics drunken stupor during this review I can't watch any part of this film without laughing to myself, thinking "oh yeah, he made a joke about that". If nothing else, I really want to read the original novel thanks to this review (from what I hear, it's kind of intense). Tim Curry is incredibly funny, his pokes at the poor production, acting and writing are easily welcomed by those who do not find this piece of cornball the least bit frightening.


7. Raiders of the Story arc: X-Men
Thanks to the Critic, I was able to really get into this series again. It had been a long time since I grew up alongside it, teaching me about discrimination without even knowing. One of the best way's to look back and compliment a nostalgic piece of awesome is by satirizing it. And it's fun to see something old and nostalgic reviewed positively by the Critic. I really hope He does more of these in the near future. One's I would especially like to see is Justice league or X Men Evolutions. 


6. Refer Madness
This is probably the episode I laughed the most at. I never knew a movie like this existed, and thanks to the Critic I now feel I have an obligation to review it as a Cult Classic. I just love the imitations he makes throughout the review and how he mock's the fools who made this so harshly (I mean really stepping into nit-picking territory). My favorite jokes of this review are the window scene, time-traveling piano and the 12 angry idiots.


5. Farewell Roger Ebert
Of all the new editorials that he has put out, I would say this is probably my favorite. This is the Nostalgia Critic at his most modest. The fact that the late Roger Ebert passed away is sad enough, add on that this poignant eulogy to the work and influence of Ebert and his effect on all of us, it just bring's tears to the eyes. And the point he makes throughout is correct, that passion can go along way. I ask you to watch to the end as his final thoughts on the matter are the most touching of all.


4. Top 11 Simpsons Episodes
While everyone will have their own opinions on their favorite episode, I haven't watched the series in over a year now so I guess I have fallen behind. But from my experience of the show, I not only remembered all these great episodes, but I wanted to watch each of them all over again, just to get that feeling of nostalgia. And his number one pick really gives us, as the viewer, some perspective on Doug Walker. As for my personal favorite episode, probably Cape Fear.


3. The Wiz review
Strangely enough, I can't decide whether I saw 3 or 2 first. I was browsing YouTube for some material for a presentation I was doing on music in film, while at the same time my school was doing an adaption of The Wiz for that years show. I stumbled across one of these and I couldn't stop laughing. This crossover with Todd in the Shadows ( I am dead serious!), is actually both enlightening to me and enjoyable. From this review I was finally introduced to the concept of Cult films and by watching it made me want to make them my critique of interest.


2. Top 11 most F**K YEAH movie themes!
Geez...watch your language Critic. But all jokes aside, this was probably the first episode I saw. And while I might disagree with his number 1, all the rest are well chosen. On my first viewing I couldn't stop my laughing all the way through and as I re-watch it over and over I am still treated to the most awesome playlist ever. Not much to say about it really, just...watch it.


1. The Last Airbender review
Probably a bit curious to see this one at the top spot, but I have my reasons. For one, everything that Doug does well in his reviews,he does expertly; song's, sketch's, comedy, relevancy, etc. Nothing is wrong with this review, it is a movie that deserves to be torn apart and spat upon. But what really made this review important is that it introduced me to Avatar: the Last Airbender. I doubt I would have loved the show as much as I do know, had I not prepared before watching it. Oh yeah! For two weeks I was on a Avatar binge watch. And by the time I got to the episode, every joke cracked me up, every reference made me shout in disgust at it's mistreatment and the message at the end is perfect. Of all the reviews I have encountered, this was the most...humorous.

Well I hope you enjoyed my Top 11 and hope you will all give Doug and his alter ego a view in the future. I'm That Indie Reviewer and I plagiarized Doug's catchphrase so you don't have to (notify court! I beg you don't!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment