Sunday 21 April 2013

A Clockwork Orange

This one is a bit tricky as I do not know how to feel about it. Should I look past it's cultural status and look at it plainly as a film or judge it for the reasons it has a cult. I believe I will go for the former. As for story, Interesting to say the least, I had no idea where it was going. In fact I had an idea in my head about what took place. Seeing only clips, trailers and snippets of what people discussed, I had come to the conclusion that one young man has been taken in by this dystopian future of Britain and is transformed into the ultimate criminal mastermind and anarchist, but the actual story is the opposite of what I had come to believe. It was a gritty, surreal and disturbing film. It's visuals, it's scenarios and it's characters. Alex DeLarge is by far one of the most peculiar and at the same time inviting characters in cinema. He come's off as a villain, an anarchist  and possibly the most horrible person we have ever met, with his beatings/attacks on friends and civilians  rape, disobeying and lying to his parents and persons of authority. But he so enjoys his role as chaos, you can certainly see that Malcolm McDowell giving this his all, in what many consider to be the single biggest snub in Oscar history(I still think Life of Pi should have won over Argo). In one scene he improvised singing the song 'Singin in the rain', to which Stanley Kubrick bought the rights to use in the film and has since become so chilling a scene, it rivals that of Reservoir Dogs 'Stuck in the middle with you'.

But my only problem with this film is how unpleasant it is. Many scenes were cut out at first release for good reason. In the second half Alex really begins to suffer after a now infamously popular psychological treatment that has been parodied in many forms of pop culture(eg The Simpsons, Ned's declassified school survival guide). I say the reason this film became so popular is due to bad press that it got on release and the inner message and artistic message it conveys. Alex is good fun to watch and the way he reacts in such a nonchalant manner to how bad everyone and everything is treating him and vice versa, is so cool had he not become such an insufferable wimp for most of the second half of the flick, I would have put him on my Top ten bad-asses list. I will not say how it ends, although I will say it's rather bittersweet. I won't tell you to not see it because of its grim nature, nor see it for it's impressive scenario and characters(well alex, I thought every one else was either a Jerk or a bland, one dimensional plaything of Alex), So I shall leave it to you good sir's and madame's of the internet to see it at your own will. If you want me to review anything in particular or have I forgotten something please comment. For it shall be gorgeousness and gorgeousity to hear from you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment