Friday 26 April 2013

Top Five Overrated Movies

One thing I dislike doing for a film is being to over hyped, that's why I am a pessimist. But if there is one thing I hate is being drawn in by other's over hype, even critics. Just because a film is said to be good by a top notch critic or even one of your friends doesn't mean you should take his word, form your own opinion.
To commemorate these films I have formed a list of five Over hyped, overrated and just overdone.

Number 5: The wizard of Oz
This may be a bit of a shock, but yes I do believe that Oz is a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong, I love this film, It's nostalgic and cultural significance, it being the first film I ever saw and a landmark of cinema. But after the arrival of 'Oz the great and powerful' it got me thinking,'can we ever get an Oz adaption without the comparison to the old, bright and cheery original. We can not. You might think I am being too hard, but please it's just my opinion. It was a good film, but others like 'Oz tgap' and 'Return to Oz' can never get a chance if this film continues to poke its head around every corner of the Emerald city.
Number 4: To kill a Mockingbird
Now I know that many love this film and see it, like the Wizard of Oz, as a classic. But for me it was just boring. The pacing was slow, the acting for the most part was wooden(Mary Bedlam and Gregory Peck are my only favorite actors) and I had recently read the book and it was a very decent read even if it didn't teach me how to kill a mockingbird(bad joke I know, it's my only one). I had a completely different idea to the film's portrayal. I may also be biased as this film was released the same year as 'Lawrence of Arabia', a well shot, well portrayed and well paced film. It won the best picture, but Peter O'Toole lost to Peck in Best Actor, which I consider an absolute travesty. Peck did well playing the all american hero, but Peter portrayed a HERO OF WAR, a successful one at that. I'd like to see these two in an Epic Rap Battle of History with Lawrence winning. I might give it a chance in the future and who knows maybe I will get a better appreciation for it.

Number 3: Twilight 
You may seem surprised to see this so low or on this list at all, but yeah, this is what I think of it.
Like the Music today, it's trash but still a hit, critics pan it and yet it still continues to be a box office hit. I suppose a good example of the diversity of badness can be found in the nostalgia critics "Is Twilight really that bad?" . But it was way too over hyped and it was the winner of many Razzie's so I can't complain too much. I'll say that I only liked two character the dad and Alice, the rest were horrible. Not much else to say but really bad AND SOMEHOW POPULAR!

Number 2: Avatar
Yeah....everybody seem's to have the same opinion on this film. It kept us waiting and waiting, stories shifted around, rumors, tales. that James Cameron took nearly ten years to make this film just waiting for the right technology. And what was our reaction to it in the first month........YEEEAAAAHHH! THIS IS FREAKIN AWESOME! The action, the design, the ideas. That was until we found out it was a combination of Ferngully, Pocahontas and Halo. The action is good, but only in 3D. the world is vivid and impressively designed. But alas it was meant to be a standard film and ultimately a tired and over used one at that.

Number 1: Argo
What a major let down. this film is a much too over hyped film. I mean winning the Best Picture over Life of Pi, Les Miserables or even Django Unchained is just mind boggling. I know I have gone on and on about this many times, but I cannot be the only one who dislikes this film. The first half is kind of tense and the supporting cast like John Goodman and Alan Arkin are quite good. But there are just too many historical inaccuracies, the plot is predictable(being a historical drama) and I don't think it really took much risks other bringing up a very delicate subject like the Iran hostage crisis. I have too many qualms for one list and will do a review in the future. But I think it's just too over hyped, overrated and underdone. My verdict: watch Avatar instead.

That's my list, I hope you enjoyed. I realize my opinion will garner some negative feedback, so please keep in mind this is my opinion. If you have your own opinion please comment and tell me if I forgot anything or if there is a review you want me to do. Thank you for your time.



No comments:

Post a Comment