Friday 16 August 2013

American psycho

For the first time, I am writing from America on my iPhone and I have decided to use a different format for this review, please tell me if I should keep this style or keep the original. I hope you enjoy so let's get started.
Set in the hustle of New York, banker and stockbroker, Patrick Bateman is just like any yuppy in business, not much individuality or originality, all about the rank, the apartment you own, the card you hand out and the restaurants you can book. He comes off as a perfect asshole, no redeemable qualities but one, he is completely bonkers. He kills, he rapes, he mutilates, tortures and humiliate his victims. Through this brief view, we see into the psyche and double life of a business yuppie. Prostitutes, cocaine, affairs and envy. We spiral through the days in which he really loses it and we just get knocked right out of our wits. Combining social commentaries with gruesome horror, we are treated to a real spectacle of choice cinema. A lot of things are off putting in this film. Two full on sex scenes, gruesome murder(including a gruesome death scene in the extende edition that I will not furnish you with the details about) and clever but almost perverted social commentary on business and upperclass society. But this ultimately is what makes it good. It pushes the boundaries of what can be put in a film while still remaining tame and artistic. What saves it is Christian Bales performance as Batman(I mean Bateman). Sorry, but you can make multiple jokes and references towards Batman on the dark side or what if Batman had gone the other way and turned into a sociopathic killer while as Bruce Wayne he would be a completely unlikable asshole. That is what gives it a cult following, that and it is considered to be one of Christian Bales performances and all anyone can think of is his performance in the Dark Knight trilogy.

This film got a lot of criticism at the time of release due to the graphic violence. But I ask what is the point of film if you can't express opinion. Because that is what film is, art. We tell stories and express opinion on society, politics, art and pop culture. If this film is to be a martyr for films to express opinion, then so be it. I love the cast, I love the acting, I love the story and the film is memorable as a good psychological horror. I dislike the gore, but only a little bit and the sex scenes are a little over the top and sometimes distracting. If you enjoy Bale, horror and good commentary, then this is your film. I would avoid it if you are squeamish or just like Bale too much as Batman. Also don't watch with your parents, you will regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment