Saturday 24 August 2013

The Hill and Wood

You know the way I said that my opinion on film, television and music differs from that of an average Irish teenager, well I would like to address the opinions I express in my reviews. I have noticed that I am much too positive and would like to resubmit at least four of my previous entries after re-reviewing the films I will be more critical in my opinion. With that said, lets examine all areas in the Independant/cult culture. So now I will be doing my first of...most likely very few...reviews of indie rock bands. Today it's a concert I went to in Washington last week.

The Hill and Wood is a band from Charlottesville, Virginia. Starting off with their folk rock style they eventually evolved towards a rock/pop sound with a mix of country, blues and jazz. The one thing I like about independently made music or film is the fact that they have little to no restrictions, other than their budget, to make stellar work and produce what they love. The songs these guys have can range from a slow, toe-tapping melody to a fast paced mover and shaker. In most songs there
is subtle message hidden beneath the riffs and lyrics, here I can't find it. Keep in mind that this was a live performance, but the equipment was  just terrible. There moving songs could hardly be heard above the baseball system of audio amplification. Sometimes the songs are well paced and slow so you can make out each word and really get a feel for the song. But that is only one problem with the performance another is the song lineup. I loved the songs they chose, but before the show began there was a montage of performers who got the whole crowd dancing. Also the crowd was just to stuffy and mainstream I think for this band. Any interaction with the crowd was met with the ever dreaded sound of awkward silence. I think one the reasons was the lack of stage presence. These guys should really try to take advantage of the power of live performances. When I went Paul McCartney in Dublin, he had lights, smoke, fireworks and jokes a plenty for the crowd. He composed them, played games and teased them. These guys just wanted to know if we enjoyed the song they just played. Feel confidant with the song guys, know the crowd liked it and if not play games like "the next one is better". They must get better presence, but I say it might be out of the zone they are more common with assosiating with. The stage would be smaller and full of fans. So those are my problems with the show itself, but as for the band, they are very good. Very few have heard of these guys and they really need to get more recognition. From a critical point of view the band is interesting. If they come to Ireland with better stage presence, you can garauntee that I will watch them. If there is one thing I would change is Fiona Dougherty(female lead) getting some more solo's. her voice is haunting and melodic and I would love to hear more from her. The lead is amazing to say the least. His vocal talents span everything from slow to upbeat to head banging. My favourite song of theirs would have to be "Let a good thing grow" and with that I shall leave you with that song.
                                                                 




















No comments:

Post a Comment