Friday 4 October 2013

Directors Chair: Tim Burton

For the month of October, I will be celebrating the best of horror and thriller until Halloween. I will post twice a week from now on. My first Post of Horror month is my discussion on one of my favorite directors, Tim Burton. Always famous for his dark, quirky and surreal movies, Burton has recently not been doing well in his films (OK Frankenweenie was good, maybe he can keep it up). But his adaptive work has really suffered. Another thing that the general population feel about his films are that they are weird, macabre and confusing. Well I am here to set the record straight, that his films are not only underrated but also potentially legendary. 

Lets get on to the bad films he has been having more recently. His adaption of Planet of the apes, Charlie and the chocolate factory and Dark Shadows were met with mostly mixed to negative criticism  but were box office hits. And we can't forget his involvement in producing other bad films like Abraham Lincoln Vampire hunter and Cabin Boy. These films, although poorly received, were box-office hits and have developed a cult following. Of coarse in my opinion I liked Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter, Alice in wonderland and Charlie and the chocolate factory when they came out, they were fun and had that Burton appeal like in most of his films (initially of coarse). 

But lets not forget that Burton made a staple in cinema and started out by adaptions. These include Batman, Batman Returns, Pee-wee's big adventure and Sweeney Todd the demon barber of fleet street. Each of these films are among some of the best I have ever seen, with visual flare, morbid themes, stellar acting and an endearing fan base per film it's hard to think that anyone else could have directed these films. Batman is one of the best comic book adaptions you could ever see and Sweeney Todd is the darkest and most gruesome films I have ever seen (and it was so cool). Each of these films have been held in such high regard that they immediately dwarf all the bad ones. Audiences love 'em, critics love 'em and I adore them.

But now for my main card. It is no doubt that his best films are his original one's. Stories told with a lot of heart, a lot of morbid twists and a lot of spectacular acting. Of all his films, none match up to the standard of The nightmare before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands. Each one is so amazing they imprint on our minds like a stamp press. After seeing Ed Wood it finally hit me why I enjoy his work. It's because it inspires me and amazes me how well he has done. His campy 1950-60's, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Vincent Price inspired background only cements how awesome he is. One thing I can say about Edward Wood is that while he may be the worst director of all time, he is also the most influential. His passion for film has transcended to Tim and it has only served him well. His drive and passion for what he loves is something I really look up to. The surreal worlds are something that me and my friends can all agree on are mesmerizing. 

This is really why Burton is this blogs favorite director, with each film becoming a cult classic or is just a very good film. There should be more concentration on his original and good adaption works than his blockbuster sell-outs. So Burton is still my favorite director and I think he should be most everybody else's as well. (And as for my review of some Burton films, look out for my reviews of Ed Wood next month and Look Out for my review of Sleepy Hollow and Beetlejuice this horror month.)
 
Thanks to superXIL for the youtube video.
I would also like to point out that I may have been too positive in my reviews in the past so I will be re-reviewing the Re-Animator and Braindead with a much more critical view.

No comments:

Post a Comment