Wednesday 30 October 2013

Killer Klowns from outer space

Well what do you expect to say about a movie with a title like this, I mean "Killer Klowns from outer space" has got to be one of the most hilarious titles I have ever seen reviewing cult movies. It's like "Snakes on a Plane", what you see is what you will get. Oh boy this is going to be difficult. Let's just get this one over with.

So the story follows two teens (Or actors trying to look like teens, seriously why can't we ever get amateur actors from film schools who are still in their teens to play teenagers), as they come across a circus tent in the middle of the woods while looking for a shooting star. After entering, they discover bodies wrapped in cotton candy and an army of clowns with weapons like a strangling party blower, live blow-up animals, popcorn guns and a cotton candy laser (How can I be taken seriously if I have to say stuff like that). Anyway, the teens make their way to the authorities to explain their story, but as per the usual horror/sci-fi movie town, they don't believe them (Gee, I wonder why?). All while this happens, the clowns cause havoc and murder many of the residents in, I have to admit it, a very comedic fashion filled with acid pies, puppet shows, mallets and ding-dong-ditch methods. It's a race to get the public to listen to them and defeat the evil klowns.

There are many reasons I can hate this movie. One is the acting and the characters. Everyone's an idiot or ass-hole, they never thought to use their guns until the very end (and only bring one!) and the two twins that help the heroes are so annoying (they're like the Rob Schneider's of this movie, not much use or fun). And to tell the truth the Klowns are not scary. I never had coulrophobia or any other irrational fears (in fact my fear is non-exploitative, Vertical Heights). Also I didn't laugh as much due to my watching of a new TV show, Gravity Falls, which is so funny that I will not talk about until December. I had it on my mind throughout the entire movie and in comparison the film wasn't even funny in comparison.

But to tell the truth, if you stick through it you will find some generally creepy and funny moments. One such moment is when a Klown is luring a little girl to him in a very pedaphilic matter only for him to hit her over the head with a mallet. Another genuinely funny moment is when a klown is doing shadow puppets and eventually makes a dinosaur that eats people. Also the spaceship, tech and effects are very 50's sci-fi inspired,  with references thrown here and there for good measure.  And the Klowns can be genuinely creepy from time to time. But my main reason I am in favor of the movie is because of the soundtrack. The songs are hilarious and catchy and rocking. 

So in my opinion, if you have time to waste or you have nothing else to do, then I suggest giving it a watch. It's campy, hoaky and a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment