Sunday 20 October 2013

Sweeney Todd the Demon barber of Fleet street

Right off the bat I just want to say I swear I am not re-reviewing Les Miserables.  So in case you mix up this review for that  movie, it's not. So let us make haste and review this sucker. This is Sweeney Todd.
In honor of the Halloween month, I have decided not to review a cult horror movie today (Yeah like I haven't done that before!) Instead I will be concentrating my efforts on the grim and gruesome musical, often quoted by critics as one of Burton's best films since Ed Wood. Although it did well at the box-office, it isn't held as high a regard in the general public as a good musical, well to them I say...Shut up it is!

The story (For this review I might be revealing a lot more of the plot than most, but I just want to be sure, so SPOILERS!): the story follows the newly relieved, wrongly convicted convict (Val Jean much), Benjamin Barker. To enact his revenge on a ruthless, demented man of the law (umm...Javert) Judge Turpin. Along the way he is assisted by Ms. Lovitt, a pie shop owner down on her luck, and Anthony, a fellow con who is quite coincidentally infatuated with Sweeney's daughter. Along the way he kills average men who dares to attend his barber shop and helping Ms. Lovitt by providing her with some free, fresher supply of...MEAT. Wait...Lovitts pie's aren't food...THEIR PEOPLE! YOUR EATING PEOPLE! Oh and Sacha Baron Cohen is in it too. (Tom Hooper must have watched this and said I want these actors and this plot, Thank you Cinemasins.)

So as you can tell the story is what I say is "Les Miserables meeting the Count of Monte Cristo with each one throwing a bucket of tomato juice at each other". But that's not a bad thing. In the film, Johnny Depp plays Todd as a cold yet tragic figure who longs for normality and justice at all costs. I think he threw normality out the window after murdering Adolfo Pirelli. Many say his singing wasn't the best but still suited the character's brooding, sullen nature. But you know what he is a very good singer in my opinion (OK, not Paul McCartney, but its still good) and his portrayal is heart-breaking to watch and spine-tingling to cover your eyes. Ms Lovitt is played by the ever quirky and enjoyably amazing Helena 'Beetlejuice' Boham Carter. Her voice is stunning as well with stellar make-up and costume for all the character (But where did Todd get the white streak in his hair, was prison life that scary or did the prison gangs just want to dye his hair.)

 Alan Rickman and Timothy Spall each play the most ruthless and disgusting men in all of film musicals, they're even more ruthless than Snape and Wormtail (OH WAIT!). And of coarse, Cohen is hilarious as Pirelli, singing one of the most whimsical songs about self appreciation and vanity since 'I'm super' thanks for asking' (South park). I like that the Judge doesn't claim to be a good man and almost accepts it (It's kind of similar to Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame with the evil judge who causes the misery of the main characters). The villains in this film are very complex if you ask me, since it was the lust of Turpin that incarcerated Barker and created Todd and it was Todd that finally brought his own end. Unlike in say 'American Psycho' where at the end it fits that Patrick Bateman is not captured as it shows off the looseness and laziness of society who would rather say "glad it wasn't me that got killed" instead of putting him away for murder. In Sweeney Todd, I doubt that even in Victorian era Britain Todd would get away with mass murder and cannibalism. In fact almost all get their comeuppance in the end with the Judge facing the brutal judgment of Todd's revenge, Lovitt getting axed for lying to Todd about his wife dying and Todd finally coming to the realization that revenge has become his entire point of living, even killing those closest to him to gain it and after getting it, he feels empty and nothing. That scene is just so tragic, the man who murdered many before our eyes suddenly gaining our sympathy in those final closing moments of the film. 

So here's what I dislike...well the...how about the...Yeah OK there is little to nothing wrong with this film. But if you want me to nitpick, I would have loved to see more of the Judge and his coming to grips with his decisions (how they don't affect him at all) and his infatuation with Todd's daughter. Yes there seems to be a love triangle between him, Anthony and Johanna. But to the movies credit it's pretty downplayed. Yet at the same time I actually wanted to see more of the young lovers and how they disscuss their affections and their plans, no movie seems to be able to do this right so I won't give the film too much grief. But the conversations the two would have could be very interesting, but I doubt if Todd would have approved his daughter marrying his friend (that's for a very half assed sequel if it ever gets made). Also I wanted it to be longer in running time so as to fit all these additions in. 

But of coarse if I could find only the smallest bits to critique, then my praise is overwhelming. I love the music and songs. My favorites are probably 'My Friends' and 'Have a little Priest'. One for how hauntingly beautiful it is and the other by how disgustingly/morbidly enjoyable it is. I must commend Burton for his choices and consulting the original writer rather than just taking liberties whenever he wants. Of coarse there are the other songs as well, but I love them all the just the same. The acting, What can I say, he was robbed, it's not only hard to sing and act, but to do it well and not win for the third time. It was to Daniel Day-Lewis that it went and if he didn't win I say he might have just given up on acting. Rickman and Helena are both wonderful. The story is tragic. The setting in Victorian era and the street's and buildings, especially the parlor, are such exquisite designs and me and my friend are just blown away by it. The direction is brilliant, with Burton's control over his friends being used to his advantage. What else can I say, It's probably my second favorite movie musical after A Hard Day's Night. 
For those musical lovers, Burton aficionado's and Depp fans, this ones for all of you and those contemporary audiences whom we indie/cult movie lovers despise...WATCH IT! 

Video by Movieclips.com (can be found on youtube, very good for movie lovers)

No comments:

Post a Comment