Saturday 23 November 2013

Doctor Who the Day of the Doctor


What a way to go. That was well worth the wait most definitely! By now most of you have watched the 50th Anniversary special of Doctor Who. On the largest worldwide broadcast of a fiction television show. 76 countries, some 90 million fans, three Doctors and one bag of minstrels (Yum!)

Well lets get this started by saying, you all knew this was coming, we all waited, we all saw and it was OK. Yeah it was OK. Maybe a little higher, nearer to great, but that's all I can say for now. To tell the truth I had no idea what to expect watching this, the idea is much too massive. I mean the destruction of Gallifrey, three Doctors (or More!), the return of Daleks and Zygons and the return of David Tennant. What we got was this.

Let's just get through the story first. The Doctor and Clara are both transported (via an expensive helicopter routine) to the Museum of art in London. The Doctor has received a message by Queen Elizabeth I, to investigate a mysterious painting. While there he comes across a portal of time. Elsewhere, The Doctor is fighting the final days of Arcadia on Gallifrey against the Daleks. He steals the Deus Ex Machina (Come on it is, it really is) that will destroy all of the Time lords and the Daleks. Elsewhere, the Doctor is courting Elizabeth I and proposes to her and she accepts. He reveals it's all a ruse to find the Zygons (shape-shifting aliens from the Forth Doctor Series, but not the only thing from the series!). They stumble across the time portal as well and we find that the war Doctor is pretty much making a deal with the Devil. The Moment, a machine of sentient and unlimited power, has taken form of Rose from the Doctors future. She is trying to show him the possibilities of his actions. At this point, all three Doctors meet up and discuss the Zygon gambit and the picture of the Fall of Gallifrey.

So it is a very fan orientated special, nothing there at all for the uninitiated and that's just the way I like it. Steven Moffat stated this was mainly for the fans and was for crowd pleasing. But surprisingly, it actually tried to get in a good story about the Doctor coming to terms with the decisions of the Time War, the responsibility of choice and the admiration, yet wariness of nostalgia. It threw me for loops I never thought I would see. And you know what, I actually think this is the Best Doctor Who Anniversary special of all time, until the 63rd or the 75th (you know, 1963 or the third quarter). I saw the original specials, like the three Doctors and the Five Doctors, and this actually in my opinion trumped them. But yes there were some things that the others did well. Like the interaction of the Doctors in The Three Doctors is very funny and well done, while in the Five Doctors it had more villains and monsters. Undeniably, the Three Doctors come a close second, but the story and pacing of the Five Doctors is actually appalling. But for another day. Also, this was during the final moments of Davids run, so Rose could not have appeared as she was still trapped in the Parallel Universe. And it does not bother me that only a few could get into the special, but keep in mind they need to answer all the questions asked while keep them coming back for more and not making it such claustrophobic mess unlike some specials by including EVERYONE!

Now, you might think I am fan boying right now, huh? Well there were some problems I did notice despite my sugar induced craze. 1, What is up with the Zygons at the end? We leave on a very ambiguous note after that scene to deal with the major problem of the Moment. I think we will return to that in a future episode and I hope we do because the Zygons actually are very good and there are many ways a story could be formed around it. 2 Little to no Daleks. Here I thought they were the main enemy, but no, just cannon fodder for explosions (oh, they love their explosions on this show). I am glad in a way that they were under used and instead used to show the horror of of the war. Besides we will see them at Christmas and whats Christmas without the Daleks. 3, Speaking of the Time War, why so little. They really should have made this a two parter. I mean even David Tennant got longer viewing time for his leave and that was just for regeneration, a natural phase of Doctor Who. Seriously Two hours for David, but only one and a half for the special anniversary. I really wanted to see the full horrors of the Time War in all it's majesty, but it's more like twenty minutes of the entire special. Perhaps they still want to leave it to us and maybe address it later in the show, but I really wanted to see the cruelty of the Daleks and the harsh decisions of the Time Lords. The bloodshed, the tears, the loss the epicness of battle...I'm getting a little too into this. But non-the-less, more War in the future.

But I am afraid I can't tell you what I liked because there is just too much. I love the Doctors and Clara is just as delightful as ever. What The Five Doctors did wrong and The Day of the Doctor did right was balance. They showed us just as much of the enemies as we needed to, enough of the war (as much as I would like to see more of it), enough development of the Doctors as well as actually concentrating on them instead of the Companions and a balance of emotions. I felt sadness at the battle scenes, humor at the interactions and joy at the in-jokes and references. And Of course the Ending is very well done. It's almost like The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, the heroes have just saved the day and celebrate with a cup of tea, a classic British custom. And that Gallifrey could still be alive, but not damaging the time line, that is very well crafted. And of course an army of Doctors coming to save the day. All thirteen of them, very sneaky. But my heart leaped at Tom Bakers return, beautiful if not slightly confusing the more you think about it. I think he is just the previous incarnation coming to give some excellent advice and some classic dry British wit. To tell the truth I am glad they did Rose this way as well. I doubt they could have gotten her as a companion, but mentioning her in front of David kind of breaks the spirit knowing he can never see her again. But who can forget the stand Out performances of John Hurt, playing the war weary soldier desperate for peace once again like a perfect fitting glove. Matt Smith is just as good as ever, even has some tense moments when he realizes what has become of his life and the meaning it must have. David is great fun and get's in much more laughs than I thought he could, acting much more eccentric than his previous portrayal. As always I really like Clara and I enjoy her enthusiasm and intellect in this. Hopefully she will become a long running companion like Rose or Amy. 

Overall, very glad I saw it, would I like to have seen more, of course, but for what it's worth it's a fun ride for all the little Whovians out there and the best Anniversary special for Doctor Who ever. I look forward to the Christmas Special, saying goodbye to a very Special Doctor and greeting a very different Doctor.
Animated video by Richard Swarbrick, all credit to him for this wonderful video.

No comments:

Post a Comment