Sunday 10 November 2013

The Doctors Companions


Continuing our discussion of Doctor Who, in build up to the 50th Anniversary, lets look at what makes the show relatable to human eyes, its companions. Over the years we have gotten a lot of companions to the Doctor. Again due to my lack of experience with the Original series, I will only be concentrating on the revamp series. But of course, the original series has had its companions that we all love for me it was Ace and(I'm sure its the same with almost everyone else) Sarah Jane Smith, played by the late Elisabeth Sladen. But for another date we must leave that, for now we must examine the human element of Doctor Who.

1. The Character 
Each companion brings something to the table, something new each season. Let me just say right off the bat that my favorite companions of the new series are Clara, Jack Harkness and Donna Noble(in fact in that numerical order, going from good to bad) and my least favorite are Rose Tyler and Amy Pond-Williams. Now I know what your thinking, what did you not like how nice and charismatic each of the two were...no I do not. For one thing, Rose and Amy left their boyfriends initially just for a chance to travel through time and space(OK, I would leap at the chance of time travel, only I would ask my friend to come as well if he was standing RIGHT NEXT TO ME). Another thing, they are very clingy to the Doctor, well Rose is acting Bitchy and like a spoiled brat when someone else "has to come". Amy is completely ill-regarding of her relationship to Rory for the first series they are together, that its no wonder they kill him off so often. And yes she does eventually mature the relationship to actually caring singularly about Rory, but she takes her time.


The other each have something interesting. Like Donna and the Doctor have a more Brother-Sister relationship, always bickering and poking fun at a situation, she is funny, really funny and she has the right role of life. Her whole life is just unfair, she is not too clever, but she has street smarts, she does have that feeling I know we all have, that the world just has it in for us and that it will hardly get better and it is so much more tragic seeing how all the other companions benefit or at least learn from their experience as a companion, for her experience and this whole new lease on life to be taken from her for her own safety.

Jack has the man from the future lost in time factor as well as the fact he can't die, not to mention he is homosexual, that makes him much more of a cult icon and a lot cooler. He also got his own TV show, how much cooler is that. He is like Ace, and I admit I wish we got more of the past shock, with him dealing with new customs and ways of living.

And Clara is just Clara, she talks fast, thinks fast and a certain chemistry with the doctor that you can't pin-point. Is she in love or does she see him as the bestest friend in all the world. She is smart, but under-achieving(or maybe she's in University/college and she pays her tuition by being a sitter or a housekeeper.) and she has that energy that lets her fly about and take charge of a situation.

    2. Their Relationship with the Doctor
A lot of fans were very much against the Doctor having any romantic relations with his companions or at all. But that changed with a scene controversial for the fans in Doctor Who the movie, when Grace and the Doctor kissed. Since then he's has kissed each one of his companions in every series. But the romance with the Doctor isn't just kisses, there is also the crush that they can have. Martha Jones for example is notable for openly expressing her love for the Doctor (although if that's more 
friend orientated or romantic, we can only speculate). But the most prominent one is Rose and her devotion to him. To tell the truth I actually don't mind the Doctors love life and I believed Rose really loved him, leading her to become very attached to him. For this reason I don't really hate Rose.

So all the companions have in common are their attachment/devotion to the Doctor, they are willing to give their lives and they trust him unconditionally. In the cases of the others like Donna, Clara or Amy, they start out unsure of him, find him annoying yet feel slightly attracted to him like he owns a brand new sports car (except in this case time machine), then eventually come to respect him. I will give credit to Amy because she waited years to travel with him and hell hath no fury like a woman's wrath. And I am glad they decided to not make every woman he meets fall in love and rather develop the friendship. For this reason I would like to see more male companions just for a bit of variety. Jack was entertaining and so was Rory. I think Rory is even more of a bad-ass considering he died ten times and that he came back to life after each. I even found a page for Rory William facts, like Chuck Norris Facts.

I think the relationship with each Doctor and his respective companion(s) are good. Some episodes can be flawed in it's presentation of the relationship and I can get annoyed when the companion feels jealous they aren't getting enough attention ( jeez, get over it you have all the time in the universe to chat with him) and of course there is the one off companions that appear for literally one episode or two just to be a comedic foil or an asshole. But my favorite one off companion is of course...Wilfred. He is just too funny and enjoyable to dislike. He's like the grandparent you really like or look forward to his/her visits. He helps the Doctor many times, he's supportive of his actions and really has and shows only the greatest respect for Him. Then River song came into my life as another living enigma to be solved. She's snarky, irritating and a bit of a show-off,
"I can fly the Tardis, I was trained by the greatest in the universe, I am constantly saved because i'm his favorite", get lost and annoy someone else's timeline.

3. The Twist
What companion is complete without a twist (just about the entire cast of the original series). When I first saw the Bad wolf my mind was blown. It made perfect sense and I never saw it coming. In the Second series I was not to amazed as I was the previous, but still impressive. By the last one we just got, I am just bored to death of them. Why can't we have a series finale that makes sense, but without the conspiracy. In truth Rose had the best twist endings in both series. Each were impressive and heart-breaking. The weakest was probably Jack's. I mean him being the face of Boe makes not a lot of sense. He is supposed to live forever. That aside I wish it was more like Martha, the twist belonged to the finale and not for the companion.

Well that's my review of the Companions. I won't lie, I really am looking forward to seeing Rose interact with Clara, the possibilities are just endless. Feel free to agree or disagree how you please. And apologies for the length.


Video byMrLazarus01

No comments:

Post a Comment