Saturday 21 December 2013

Basil The Great Mouse Detective

By this point I think I know my audience well enough. I know you know that after at least sixty updates, fifty cult films and a year of progress, that I review obscure, underrated, cult followed films and television. So at this point I think if you can handle films about Killer clowns and TV shows about an alien who travels in time and space in a phone-box, then I am sure you can handle a story about a anthropomorphic mouse version of Sherlock Holmes.  


Yea, I'm reviewing this movie from my childhood about a walking talking mouse who is the rodent equivalent of Sherlock Holmes. I saw this at a young age and to tell the truth I didn't find it that great. It wasn't funny as it didn't have a lot of jokes I got, the characters were mean and there were no songs that I liked. Today, those are some of it's greatest strengths. I get the jokes, the characters are diverse and memorable and only two songs that are put in there as a villain song and just a normal song in a certain environment is better than songs right the hell out of nowhere. I love the character Sherlock Holmes and so I love Basil. Let's wait until later to discuss the good and the bad.

Now the story starts out as following Olivia Flaversham, the daughter of a clockwork toy maker who is kidnapped by a crippled bat. He was sent by the notorious Napoleon of Crime, Professor Ratigan, in hope of building him a robotic replica of the Queen of England who will name him, at her Diamond Jubilee, as ruler of the mice of England. But close on his tail is Basil of Baker street, the worlds greatest detective. Olivia meets a newly out of service Dr. Dawson, who assists her in finding Basil. Together they set out to find Mr. Flaversham and save the crown. 

The story is quite short as you can see and that leads to my major problem for this movie, It's a bit too short. I am unsure of why this is, but it's a little over an hour and ten minutes long. But at the same time I believe this to be the optimum amount of time for a Sherlock Holmes story (but more about that later.). My other problem is that the animation is not that great. I mean the characters and their movements are good, plus the climax has excellent use of CGI which make for a great battle scene. But the backgrounds, the design of London just seems a bit too dark and bit bland, nothing really pops out at me. But in a strange contrast between Black Cauldron and Mouse Detective, I found only two good elements in the former and two poor elements in the latter. As for everything else, I really do like it. For the main character to switch from Olivia to Basil was a good idea as Olivia's cuteness can only last so long before it gets annoying. And you know what, Basil is probably my third favorite portrayal of Sherlock, right after Benedict Cumberbatch and Jeremy Brett. His intelligence, ego, mannerisms and bravery is a great portrayal of Holmes. But not only that, he is also one of the best Disney protagonists ever. Most others are handsome or pretty Princes and Princesses who sing and dance with animals. But this change is so much more interesting and a nice change from the standard Disney formula. I suppose, while we're talking about him, I personally don't much care for Jonny Lee Miller from Elementary. I don't think he's bad, I'm just not that interested in the American adaption when I have a perfectly good version in England.

Then there is Professor Ratigan, who is voiced by non-other than Vincent Price (Edward Scissorhands,  The Abominable Dr Phibes, The Fly). Mr Price eventually went on to say this was one of his favorite roles. And he has received universal acclaim from all critics and audiences as living the role with his usual eccentricity and menace. In fact just thinking about it, if he had lived much longer, he would have been perfect for the portrayal of Moriarty in multiple other Sherlock Holmes adaptions. And of course I believe this to be my second favorite portrayal of Moriarty after Andrew Scott from Sherlock. He is so caught up in his evil and "nastiness" you can't help but laugh with him. The animosity between Ratigan and Sherlock rival that of a real Sherlock Holmes episode (in fact, lets discuss that now). In most adaptions, You need at least one hour to set the characters, develop them, set the tone and atmosphere and show the gradual development of the case. This needs at least an hour, otherwise it feels rushed and clunky. I think this is why I don't like a forty minute long episode of Elementary, as it just feels rushed and less like a story, but more like a crime drama without the cleverness or wit of the original source material.

How about the other characters. They are good too, like Dawson, Olivia and Holmes' pet dog Toby. They are enjoyable and contribute enough. I like the way they made Dawson less of a comedic bumbling fool and more of a stern, upper society yet outside his comfort zone. Sure he can stumble about a bit, but he's not meant to be the main intellect, he's the heart and anchor for Basil to make sure he is not to drawn off course. And while we are here, I enjoy the comedy. All the references, Basil's over the top reactions, Ratigans evilness and other subtle humour. I think the songs are OK. My favorite being Ratigans villain song. It's so cheerful and energetic and all in praise of a insane criminal mastermind. The other, as I stated earlier, takes place in a seedy pub. So to entertain the men obviously a seedy music number is played to keep the drunks in check.

And that is it, I look forward to seeing what you think of tomorrows review and please leave a comment for whatever film you want seen reviewed. Goodnight, good-day, good evening and good morning. (PS, here is my favorite scene in the movie)

All credit to Wimberly Wilson on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment