Friday 27 December 2013

Gravity Falls


Lets get it off our chests, It's not a movie, it's a animated TV series that was introduced to me by a friend. He told me about a character named old man McGucket. So driven mad with curiosity, he showed me it and now I am binge watching it. In fact, tomorrow I'm gonna review Avatar: The last Airbender "Into the Inferno". But I don't really see these shows on par with each other in terms of maturity and writing. Allow me to elaborate.

In Gravity Falls, the series revolves around two siblings, named Dipper and Mabel, as they travel to the mysterious town of the same name. They stay with their Grunkle Stan, the cheap, con artist owner of the "Mystery Shack". While there, they discover conspiracies and mystical and dangerous Black arts. I say Black arts as they put in everything from weird creatures, voodoo, the occult, psychics and so on and so forth. They interact with many of the towns residents including Soos, a lazy, accident prone employee of the shack and Wendy, the nonchalant, easy going love interest of Dipper (she's 15 and Dippers 12, so in a few years it might work out). They also interact with many others, but more about that in a minute. They combat the threats with the use of a journal of practically all the monsters and dangers present. All in all, it makes for quite an interesting Summer.

If I had to say, my favorite character is Grunkle Stan. He's a delightful grump and eccentric yet is also charismatic. I enjoy his attitude, including thinking he is superior because his cons work and his yearning for riches and power. His big reveal at the end is actually a bit of a shock and I have developed a theory around it. Dipper and Mabel are nice, there's nothing really bad about them and they keep our interest. Mabel is really energetic and Dipper is very much grounded in terms of his "reality". As long as they keep our interest and don't really teach any bad messages, I'd say this is suitable for all. The only character I am not to big a fan of is Soos, he's not terrible, but I've seen his character before. He's lazy, yet lovable, he makes mistakes, but always keeps that grin on his face. Again, he's not bad, but I've seen his character before and I would like to see more than a comedic foil. But I can't complain about voice acting, the actors have created memorable performances which help make the characters, especially Alex Hirsch who voices Stan and McGucket.

The other cast of characters include two dimwitted officers that make chief Wiggum look like Columbo (Seriously they can't do anything right, I don't know what their problem is), Robbie V, a punk rocker of a boyfriend to Wendy and Dippers rival, Lil' Gideon, a power hungry "psychic" with a thing for Mabel and Old Man McGucket. Good god, this man need his own show. Besides Grunkle Stan, he is by far the funniest character in the show. He is an insane, hillbilly stereotype with a mind for machines, but is unstable and constantly seeks attention (that and...GOLD!!!GOTTA FIND ME SOME GOOOOLD...Sorry about that, It happens whenever anyone mentions G-O-L-D) He is probably my favorite character along with Stan just due to their eccentric nature and cartoony sense of humour.

Speaking of senses of humour, remember when I said this show differed from Avatar in terms of maturity. Well it's more mature with its comedic writing. There is always a sort of double-entendre or in joke that most under thirteen won't get. But it also has a very juvenile sense of humor, like Mabel or Soos. Both are childish and random, yet fit well into the environment. While on the subject of writing, it is very clever and really well thought out. The use of myths, legends and conspiracy theories is well done in keeping our attention, as well as balancing simplistic comedy and complex mysteries. It actually reminds me of Twin Peaks mixed with Sleepy hollow and Fish hooks (not surprising, since Alex Hirsch created this and Fish Hooks). In fact it's eerily similar to Twin Peaks, with the mystery and the quirky town folk. The Simpsons is actually similar to it as well. Pop-culture references a plenty, celebrity cameos and an absurd story line to boot. I think that's what makes this show really good, it's awesome comedy.

When I think about it, the show can actually get pretty violent. People are battered and mutilated off screen, cartoon effects disguise the actual facts of damage (for example, a gnome is kicked in the stomach very roughly and vomits up rainbows, replacing the blood from internal bleeding). Fights occur in each episode or battles occur in the back ground. There also seems to be areas of threat and some scary imagery that is welcomed, considering it's a Disney show. 

As for my theory, unless you watches all the first series, don't read any further (and no this isn't reverse psychology, do not read any further):
Old man McGucket discovered the secrets of Gravity Falls and wrote the Journal. Wanting to gain this knowledge, Old man McGucket wrote how he knew Grunkle Stan was pursuing him, so hid the book. This was confirmed when we saw screen shots of a younger McGucket writing the book. On the front cover, a six fingered left hand is seen. McGucket has a bandage around one of his hands. I believe he cut off his sixth finger to hide himself. After gaining the three books off of Gideon and Dipper, Stan installed them into a device to power it. We have yet to see more.

To finish off I will give you my favorite part of this show, the opening titles.


No comments:

Post a Comment