Tuesday 31 December 2013

Top Ten Favorite Films

Happy New Years eve and I hope your resolutions have been picked out. Well my resolutions range from doing better in my studies to hopefully getting a review out to you guys at least once a week. Before we finish off this year with one more post, I wish to thank all of you who read my blog this year. I have reached over 2100 views and it's all thanks to you guys giving me something to strive for, lets aim for 5000 total views next year.

10: The Untouchables
This is a very underrated Gangster film. While most are watching Godfather or Goodfellas, the Untouchables have been sitting in the corner, waiting for increased viewership. Based on the events of the Prohibition era, Elliot Ness, agent of the FBI, is sent to Chicago to enforce the prohibition act and snuff out the ring leader of the operation, Al Capone. While initially unsuccessful, he achieves the help of Irish-American beat cop Jimmy Malone to teach him the ropes of the "Chicago way". The performances are knockouts, especially Sean Connery as Malone and Robert De Niro as Capone. I really think Kevin Costner was a good actor, but he is now seen as a bore and unimpressive. Well he gives this film a damn fine portrayal and speaking of which, this is an impressive film. The score is one of the best I have ever heard, it's up there with 2001, Indiana Jones and Star Wars. But by far the reason I think this is a classic, is because of the stair sequence which was heavily inspired by the film The Battleship Potemkin firing squad sequence. not just the best scene in the movie, but one of the best in cinema.
Video by Movieclips

9: The Kings Speech
The prime of Britain's artistic ingenuity comes from it's directors and Tom Hooper is one her best. The story of the Royal family might seem controversial, except given the state of social networking, I bet everybody knows all their dirty little secrets. But the choice to focus on the stammering king is probably the safest choice. Prince Albert faces prejudice due to his stammer and as a member of the Royal family, must make constant public appearances and speeches. But as abdication and war looms, the Prince must turn to a quirky speech therapist, played by Geoffrey Rush. What a cast, I must have a knack for choosing films with such a great ensemble cast, including the lovely Helena Boham Carter, the king of gentleman Colin Firth and Sir Micheal Gambon (he's knighted, need I say more). Other actors including Derek Jacobi as the Archbishop of Canterbury, Guy Pearce as Prince Edward and Timothy Dalton as Churchill. Thankfully they are underplayed, as the real story is about the relationship between lord and commoner. I love the atmosphere and the shots, they really convey a sense of dread and melancholy. Many complained that Firth won the best actor, but I say it was well deserved and so was this films Best Picture.
Owned by GlobalShakespeare

8: Pulp Fiction
Oh come on, it's a great film. Re-watchable, intriguing and entertaining. A lot of people say it's kind of confusing how the story is played out of order, but for me it was a piece of cake. The story revolves around one bad 24 hours in eight peoples life. One follows a pick up of merchandise, followed by a mistaken gun gone off, the next is about a date gone wrong, the next about a wanted wrestler and the final about a diner. These day's it's nothing new and Tarantino did it in his previous film, but this makes for an interesting structure and complex story with great dialog. In my opinion Martin Scorsese, Tarantino and Joss Whedon write the best dialog for film, it sounds so improvised and natural, like most conversations we have.(PS, Star studded cast alert, watch it to find out). The characters and dialog are memorable, the structure is complex and soundtrack is one of the best. Dialog aside, Tarantino can choose the best songs to put in a film, my favorite being Misirlou. And since your so good, I will give you an awesome scene that hopefully won't ruin the film for you.
 Property of DesadeMarquis

7: Reservoir Dogs
Another one, really? Yes another one, you got a problem with my choice? No? Then let's continue. The reason for this is so I can avoid putting the two together. I saved that for the next one after. But I honestly prefer this one to Pulp Fiction, mainly just by how real it is, the soundtrack is better, the grittiness and first user of the out of order storytelling. It may be cheaper, it might be gruesome and it might be a cult classic, but then you obviously don't know me. The story of a botched Robbery is followed by finger pointing, cop interrogation and buckets of blood. What makes it so chilling is how grounded in reality it is and how the funny dialog and lighthearted music offset the violence and suspense perfectly. My favorite song was Stuck in the Middle with you, which I cannot listen to without thinking about the infamous torture scene. I have heard theories of how this interlinks with Pulp Fiction, but if you re-watch this movie again, and trust me I will, you can easily dissuade all those remarks from your mind.
Property of sugarplumfairiie

6: Jaws
Probably the best Spielberg film of all time, this classic I discovered while helping paint my friends house, we took a break, watched it and it scarred me for life. The Music, the effects and the suspense inspired my obsession with sharks for two years until I got over my initial fear (don't get me wrong they still freak me out!). But after this I still found the film to be interesting as a thriller less than a horror. It is horror, but I found it less scary after a while. And you know what, it's a good film study piece. Orson Welles spoke that for inspiration to direct, he watched Stagecoach everyday before shooting. I would do the same, except with this movie. My favorite character would have to be Quint, his portrayal of the mad sea man is probably inspired by many others before him, but he has truely made it his own and his chilling speech is especially memorable. I would say see it, but I'd say most of you have already. His first film became my favorite.
Thank you movieclips

5: The Dark Knight Trilogy
Yeah it's here I use my cheat, I just love these movies so much. Unlike most trilogies like Indiana Jones or Back to the future, this trilogy has three films that are great all the way through. This is one of those trilogies where seeing one film will lead to the next and the next. It is so interesting, deep, action packed and well portrayed. The series following Bruce Wayne from troubled child to hardened vigilante to superhero is inspiring to watch, it's the one of the few superhero movies that allow us to end such a great story. Christian Bale in my opinion is the definite article in Batman as I grew with him. The first film was good, the second film was a masterpiece and the finale was the best ending to a trilogy ever. There are too many moments to choose from that I like, I look forward to watching it repeatedly in the future.
Thank's sister channel Movieclips trailers.

4: Dr. Strangelove, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb
Longest title ever, am I right? The ever popular satire of the Cold War, told through the eyes of President Muffler, an RAF Captain, the presidents council, Captain Kong of the Bomber squad and many others. The story about what if we attacked Russia is answered, as we get a horrifying, yet very funny view on some very important characters. The President is a weak foolish oaf, Dr Strangelove is a brainwashed scientist formally of Nazi Germany, Captain Kong is the rodeo king of bombing and General Ripper, the psychotic, rusky hating madman. This film is not just quotable, satirical and packed with mesmerizing performances (yes, Peter Sellers is the president and Dr Strangelove and the RAF officer.), but it is still accurate in it's message about war being childs play and eventually will lead to our demise, but it's in human nature to kill and wage war, even in the face of Armageddon. Not to mention the best death ever put to screen that happens near the end. From the mind of Kubrick, we get his best film ever made and the funniest film ever.
Owned by AlBoesch

3: Spirited Away
You heard me say it and I admit it, I love this film too much to hate it. But I can't hate it if nothing is wrong with it. Yeah the parents are annoying and it's confusing at first, the final product was nothing short of a work of pure Genius. The Idea's, the animation and the performances are fantastic. The story about overcoming fears is nothing new, but seeing this you'll feel as though you just went on a magical journey. As for Miyazaki, he's off my radar for now, but one I will come back, yes, one day! I have done a whole review on it and the only new thing to say is that it has inspired me to do film in a whole new light. IT ROCKS!
cosmo111687

2: A Hard days night
The Beatles are awesome, therefore the movie is awesome. The reason I really love this film is due to it's subject, it's a mockumentary about a day in the life of the Beatles. But unlike most films based on Pop-stars, this avoids any pretentiousness and goes straight for laughs, joy and music. The spirit of rock n roll is explored very aptly and few have been able to capture such a great feeling of joy and freedom experienced by music. The personalities and music are perfectly done, the fact that this is a musical and not just any musical, but one of the highest rated films on Rotten Tomatoes with 99% and two Oscar nominations. I feel as though this film was robbed by Mary Poppins at the Oscars, the music will last the ages and so will the Fab Four.
Williamsguy40
1: The Shawshank Redemption
Yeah I think it will come as a shock to most when I say that my favorite film is The Shawshank Redemption. No other film has this much heart, soul and beauty coming from such a dark and depressing story line. The story of a wrongly convicted banker sent to prison for double man-slaughter, he finds hope in the friends he makes, the lives he changes and challenges he faces. The film has great pace, great actors and great emotion. The ending will of course have you cheering for hours. It's hard to say what I love about this film without giving too much away, so I will just say that Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins give the performance of a lifetime. So much is achieved through so little and it has changed my life for the better FOREVER!
With thanks to Joonhee kim 

No comments:

Post a Comment