Wednesday 3 July 2013

Firefly

Firefly, the famous cult TV show of the early 2000's. I had first heard this show on The Big Bang Theory, on how Sheldon had put the president of FOX on his list because he cancelled firefly and many other references. After finding it on Netflix I was hooked. Cancelled way too soon, after the fourteen episodes I was left craving more. I won't pretend I know all about this universe, so I'll give my honest opinion.

So what's the story; after a intergalactic civil war, with the resistance losing, the planets are organised into an orderly rule by the alliance. We follow the travels of the crew of the firefly class ship Serenity. Captained by Mal Reynolds, he and his crew, First-mate Zoe, Pilot Wash and mechanic Kaylee and other "passengers" including Shepard Book( A Priest or "preacher" in this world), hired-gun Jayne, Companion(It is what it sounds like) Inora and a doctor and his sister, Simon and River Tam travel the galaxy for any job that need hiring for. Jobs include Train robbing, smuggling and transport. The central, and usually addressed, story line is Simon and River escaping the Alliance due to River being tortured by the Academy. The rest is on the crew reacting and interacting to the inequality and diversity in the galaxy.(Don't worry if you don't know the whole story, they usually remind you at the beginning of each episode.)

In my choice of characters I usually find that my favourite and most interesting characters differ very much. My favourite character is Dr Simon Tam, MD. He is considered in the way, treated as a joke and is never treated seriously. With the exception of Book, he is not as well liked as a doctor could be. The only person who like him is Kaylee, but we'll get to her and that later, and even Mal more respects him for what he does for the crew rather than like him. But that is why I sympathize with him. More than a doctor he threw his life away to save his sister and will do what he can to protect her and make her better. That takes dedication and bravery. I dip my hat to you good sir. 

The most interesting character is also one of the best assholes ever. Mal, my god thank you for Mal he went from being the coldest prick on television to being one of the best hero's to grace the screen. His history of war, his calm demeanor, his vigilante activities and the fighting style is just flat out cowboy-brute force. Like most of the characters, he is very interesting and developed, displaying respect when needed and bravery when required. He ranks high on my top ten TV characters(which I will do soon) 

One of the aspects I love in this is the romantic tension between characters, like Inora and Mal possibly having tension between the two which is commonly put to the test as both tease and ultimately disregard the professions of each, while with Simon, Kaylee does not hold back in her attraction to him. At times he really doesn't notice that we just wish they would just get together.

If you find the series interesting enough to follow, then you might be interested enough to watch Serenity.

















No comments:

Post a Comment