Tuesday 23 July 2013

Twin Peaks

 Now, I may only be eighteen episodes in, but this has already roped me in with its surreal nature, clever imagery and decent mystery. From the director of Eraserhead and Blue velvet, comes this startling tale of secrets, corruption and dreams. After season 2, the series was cancelled due to falling views. Already you see the pattern in these shows that I review. At the end of the show it didn't clarify all answers and many found it, Unpleasant would be a kind word.

So whats the story: Laura Palmer connected to almost everyone in Twin Peaks, is found murdered. As the whole town mourns, FBI Special agent Dale Cooper is sent in to investigate. I think i'll stop right there, for as the story progresses many others of the town have their secrets revealed. Along the way Laura's friends, Donna and James, help to investigate into the murder. Not only does the town start to open up to Cooper and Sheriff Harry S. Truman( that won't be too hard to remember), but Cooper falls in love with the town and all it has to offer.

I should point out now that I have a more surreal outlook on these films and shows I review, I have seen so many that it is more common to me than it is to you. Like the strange imagery, using Hallucinations to explain and give entertaining yet cryptic exposition, and there is the characters. This show is filled with as much as the worst of humanity as the best. We have wife beaters, drunks, estranged family members and ex-convicts.
Of all these, Leo Johnson and Ben Horne are my most despised. Leo beats his wife and takes her for granted, while Ben owns a brothel extorting whatever and whomever he wants. Now these guy's are evil but also interesting. My most hated character is Bobby. This punk doesn't know whats good for him and is always lashing out at the law, his parents and his ''employer''. Another one I don't really get is James. This guy is like a discount Cory Moneith(Note: Cory Moneith was an awesome guy and I would have liked to see him in more roles, Bless his soul). But they look so similar and he almost acts like Finn, only his emotions aren't always shown and he flip-flops between emotional and a hard as nails biker.

Also if your not a Business nut, then all this talk of fraud, scandal and sales can get tiresome and boring unless you really care or understand. The plot can go all over the map, as you find a new twist in each episode, a different affair to be discovered and mystical elements to unnerve and discomfort you  as best they can. Unless you can surrender to the madness and convoluted nature of the show, I doubt you will enjoy it much.

But that's not to say that all is lost. The show is for a certain taste. The whole underworld of the towns human nature is unassuming and jaw-dropping. And the comedy hits dead on. Dale is such a catch. He went from eccentric nature lover to hard hitting knuckles down detective. He is among the many Sherlock Holmes inspired characters in popular fiction these days. But I will get to him on a later date. Other characters I like include Harry, for his wide eyed amazement but keeps to his gut and obey's procedure when neccesary(and ignores at other times.), Deputy Hawk and Andy are great characters in themselves. Members of the FBI that help out are a great laugh every once in a while. Audrey plays the sultry temptress who only wants to help(I forgot to mention that she is only eighteen). I really can't say anymore about the characters, there are too many that I like to list.

 Like I said, if you can buy the absurdity of this whole series, it is well worth the watch. I am sorry I can't go into more detail on the plot or explain more characters, but to do so would mean to explain almost everything in the series revealing plot point after plot point. I hope you enjoyed today's review, look out for my next two top ten lists on hero's and villains of television. If you have seen tht series tell me what you thought in three sentences or less. Have a nice day and again thanks for watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment