Thursday 25 July 2013

Top ten television Heroes


In television, we are met with a wide array of characters to choose from. Some good, some bad and some interesting. Through my viewings of the shows this month for reviewing, I have compiled a list of characters of whom the best of human ability and humanity is portrayed. In this review I will be concentrating mainly on characters that I find interesting and for the first time I am using video clips to emphasize my point.  Now I know that after the first five, some of you will recognize who will be in my top three, but don't let it sway you. So without further a due, these are my top ten Favorite TV Heroes.

10. Dr Gregory House, MD. This character has flaw's, no question. His attitude towards social interaction is pessimistic to say the least. His bedside manner is appalling. He is sarcastic, arrogant and unhinged. But I love him just for those reasons. His arrogance is welcomed due to how clever he is, his flaws make him stronger personality wise and his unhinged nature gives us a welcomed departure from the classic heart of gold doctor who just wants to help, House is just bored and wants to be entertained. Te harder the case, the more involved he is. And I just love his wise cracks. I only learned later that Hugh Laurie is the one who played him and that he played the imbecile Friend to Blackadder. So some of me can't take him seriously, while the other is open minded to not letting Hugh be typecast to Blackaddder.

9. Rimmer and Lister. You might think I am cheating but truth is: I can do what I want. But in all seriousness these two need each other, like Miles and Jack from Sideways(Good movie by the way, might want to check it out yourself). These two off set each other perfectly. They have a love/hate relationship, leaving the feeling as though Rimmer is the brother Lister never had and Lister is likewise. I'm not to say that is all they have to offer Red dwarf. In fact the fact that they insult each other and they are always at each others throats makes for some very decent comedy. Lister, a loudmouth, crude slob, and Rimmer, a pathetic, pedantic Perfectionist, are individually the worst people you can meet. But their contrasting nature works well. If opposites attract, then these are stuck together like glue.

8. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds. The original Space Cowboy. Mal is everything the cowboy is, tough, good fighter, quick-witted, a marksman and is a true leader. He just isn't what makes a cowboy noble. No moral center or code, no sense of respect for the rules or whoever he goes up against. Nobody want's a true hero, they need to be human, they have strengths and flaws that make them who they are. But Mal has more than that, he has a sense of adventure, he respects each member of his crew, even those who don't deserve it( in his own professional opinion). If there is one thing I dislike about him is how cold he can be. When he kills It's like it doesn't register that he ended someones life. But when push comes to shove, this is a dangerous galaxy he lives in and in the end only he can save the day. That's why I like him.


7. Michonne: I was thinking that Daryl and Rick are decent characters, as well as them appearing in one of the best TV shows ever(no review, that show is mainstream and is not a guilty pleasure everyone likes it), but she has so much mystery to her. She has all the qualities of Rick and Daryl and also has the past that makes root and yearn for her. Plus she actually attacked the Governor, where are you on that Rick? She is a bad ass with a kitana, her bravery is matched only by her loyalty and we might soon find out more about this mysterious hunter in the night. I like to think she was one of the nicest people you could meet, before getting cold and remorseless with the world due to the world taking everything she loves. 


6. Lt. Richard Winters. I know, I know, he isn't fictional and he was in a mini-series. Well it was a good mini-series and Winters is the best damn soldier on the list. He goes on the front line to witness the worst of war-time events from leading a lost group of Paratroopers on the D-day landings to befriending the whole of easy company during the Battle of the Somme. His spirit and optimism is never diminished despite the events occurring around him and he is the anchor for his friend Nixon who obviously is gradually getting worse as the series progresses(worse in spirit I mean). He is a man I would die in battle for.

Well that's all for today. Tomorrow I will finish my list of Top ten TV characters and then do my Top ten TV Villains. I apologize to those of you who didn't see love/hate, the wire or lost on here, but the truth is i don't watch them. If you would like to tell me your favorite character on TV feel free to comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment